PracticeDr. Belmont is Medical Director of the Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD), directs the Lupus Clinics at HJD and Bellevue Hospital, and teaches at the New York University School of Medicine (NYU). Dr. Belmont's faculty-based clinical practice emphasizes the diagnosis and treatment of patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) and related rheumatic, auto-immune disorders. Dr. Belmont currently cares for and supervises the treatment of over three hundrend lupus patients in his private practice and hospital clinics. He is a Principal Investigator of a number of clinical studies at NYU/HJD including the SELENA Trial (Safety of Estrogen in Lupus Erythematosus National Assessment) and the phase III clinical trial of LJP 394.
A fellow of the American College of Rheumatology, Dr. Belmont serves on the Board of the Arthritis Foundation and the Executive Committee of the New York Rheumatism Association.
Education: Received MD degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 1980 and A.B. from Harvard College in 1976.
Postdoctoral Training: Completed his Internship and Residency in Medicine at Mt. Sinai Hospital in 1983. He was a Rheumatology Fellow at NYU from 1983-1985 and served as Chief Fellow in 1985.
ResearchIn addition to patient care, he is an active investigator of the pathology of SLE and has published extensively.
His research relates to mechanisms of injury in SLE. Specifically, the relationship between complement activation and vascular injury.
Patients may inquire about enrolling in the SELENA (Safety of Estrogen in Lupus Erythematosus National Assessment) NIH multicenter national study or LJP 394 Clinical Trial by contacting Dr. Belmont's office at the telephone number listed below.
1. Belmont HM. Serum sickness. New England Journal of Medicine. 1985;313:1387.
2. Belmont HM, Edelson H, Kaplan H, Ludwig R, Weissmann G, and Abramson S. Complement activation during systemic lupus erythematosus: C3a and C5a anaphylatoxins circulate during exacerbations of disease. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1986;29:1085-89.
3. Abramson S, Belmont HM, Hopkins P, Buyon J, Winchester B, and Weissmann G. Complement activation and vascular injury in systemic lupus erythematosus. Journal of Rheumatology. 1987;14:43-46.
4. Belmont HM, Abramson S. Lupus psychosis. New England Journal of Medicine. 1988;31:No.5.
5. Hopkins P, Belmont HM, Buyon J, Phillips M, Weissmann G, and Abramson S. Plasma anaphylatoxins predict flares of systemic lupus erythematosus and may elicit vascular injury in lupus cerebritis. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1988;31:No.5.
6. Abramson S, Dobro J, Eberle M, Benton M, Reibman J, Epstein H, Rapoport D, Belmont HM, Goldring R. The syndrome of acute reversible hypoxemia in systemic lupus erythematosus. Annals of Int. Med. 1991;114:941-947.
7. Belmont HM. Complement determinations: Clinical utility in systemic lupus erythematosus. Mediguide to Inflammatory Diseases. 1991;1:1-7.
8. Buyon J, Tamerius J, Belmont HM, Abramson S. Assessment of disease activity and impending flare in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus:comparison of the use of complement split products and conventional measurements of complement. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1992;35:1028-1037.
9. Ritchlin C, Chabot R, Alper K, Buyon J, Belmont HM, Abramson, S. Quantitative EEG: A new approach to the diagnosis of cerebral dysfunction in systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1992;35:1320-1329.
10. Belmont, HM, Buyon J, Giorno R, Abramson S. Upregulation of endothelial cell adhesion molecules characterizes disease activity in systemic lupus erythematosus: the Shwartzman phenomenon revisited. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1994;37:376-383.
11. Belmont HM, Storch M, Buyon J, Abramson S. NYU/HJD experience with intravenous cyclophosphamide treatment:efficacy in steroid unresponsive lupus nephritis. Lupus 1995;4:104-108.
12. Belmont HM, Kitsis K, Buyon J, McCullagh E, Abramson S. Misoprostol and prednisone treatment of lupus nephritis. Am J Therapeutics. 1995;2:928-932.
13. Buyon J, Kalunian K, Skovron ML, Petri M, Lahita R, Merrill J, Sammaritano L, Yung C, Licciardi F, Belmont HM, Hahn B. Can women with systemic lupus erythematosus safely use exogenous estrogens? Journal of Clinical Rheumatology 1995;1:205-212.
14. Belmont HM, Abramson S, Lie JT. Pathology and pathogenesis of vascular injury in systemic lupus erythematosus:interactions of inflammatory cells and activated endothelium. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1996;39:9-23.
1. Belmont HM, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Current Diagnosis 9; 1996
2. Belmont HM, Abramson S. Mechanisms of Acute Inflammation in SLE. Wallace and Hahn, Editors. Dubois' Lupus Erythematosus, Fifth Edition (in Press)
1. Belmont HM, Edelson H, Kaplan H, Ludewig R, Weissmann G, Abramson S. Lupus crisis: C3a and lipoxygenase products appear in the plasma. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1985;28:S23.
2. Hopkins P, Belmont HM, Buyon J, Phillips M, Weissmann G, Abramson S. Plasma anaphylatoxins predict flares of systemic lupus erythematosus and signals complement activation in pregnant lupus patients. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1986;29:S21.
3. Ritchlin C, Chabot R, Roubey R, Dwyer E, Eberle M, Sulkowitz K, Buyon J, Belmont HM, Abramson S. Quantitative EEG in patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) and neuropsychiatric dysfunction. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1989;29:S48.
4. Kitsis E, Belmont HM, Skovron M, Ornstein H, McCullagh E, Peter J, Abramson S. Cardiac risks factors in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1992;35:S108.
5. Belmont HM, Buyon J, Giorno R, Abramson S. The Shwartzman phenomenon in systemic lupus erythematosus:a novel mechanism of vascular injury. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1992;35:S211.
6. Buyon, J, Abramson S, Belmont HM.Past and present use of oral contraceptives and estrogen replacement therapy in women with SLE. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1993;36:S229.
7. Belmont HM, Storch M, Buyon J, Abramson S. NYU/HJD study group cyclophosphamide experience: retrospective study of 52 patients. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1993;36:S229.
8. Buyon J, Seligman S, Clancy R, Belmont HM, Young B, Abramson S. Increased serum nitrite levels in lupus pregnancies. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1994;37:S324.
9. Levartovsky D, Belmont HM, Buyon J, Kolodny E, Abramson S. Hirschprung's Disease (HD):a new form of neonatal lupus erythematosus (NLE). Arthritis and Rheumatism 1994;37:S317.
10. Belmont HM, Kitsis E, McCullagh E, Skovron ML, Abramson S. Prospective study of hydroxychloroquine effect on serum lipids in patients with SLE and rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1995;38:S304.
11. Belmont HM, Levartovsky, Amin A, Skovron ML, Buyon J, Giorno R, Rediske J, Abramson S. Upregulated expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in SLE:evidence for activated endothelium. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1995;38:S390.
12. Belmont HM, Buyon J, Skovron ML, McCullagh E, Kitsis E, Abramson SB. Prospective study of prednisone treatment in active lupus nephritis:experience with steroid as a first line agent. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1995;38:S304.
13. Goel A, Belmont HM, Giorno R, Amin A, Abramson S. Inducible nitric oxide synthase is upregulated in vascular endothelium and keratinocytes of nonlesional skin in patients with active SLE. Arthritis and Rheumatism 1996;39:S.
14. Goel A, Belmont HM. HJD/NYU lupus study group experience with combined intravenous pulse methylprednisilone and cyclophosphamide therapy for proliferative glomerulonephritis Arthritis and Rheumatism 1996;39:S.
Online Lupus ArticlesLupus Clinical Overview
Lupus Nephritis Treatment Issues
Dr. H. M. Belmont
Email email@example.com for information.